One of the best parts about heading to the Coast is the amazing selection of state parks and nature areas, and Oswald West State Park is a lovely destination near our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast. The park covers nearly 2,500 acres of stunning temperate rainforests, four miles of sandy coastline, and a few well-known hidden destinations such as Smuggler’s Cove and Short Sand Beach. Oswald West State Park is popular with surfers, hikers, and treasure hunters.
Short Sand Beach is nestled in a sheltered cove surrounded by forests and bordered by volcanic basalt and sandstone cliffs, typical of the Oregon coastline. You may hear the locals refer to it as “Shorty’s,” it’s conveniently located only about a half-mile walk through the woods. This park also includes a 13-mile stretch of the Oregon Coast Trail—which weaves through the forests, starting at our small area of Arch Cape and extending south towards the charming beachy town of Manzanita.
Before you start planning your hikes at Oswald West State Park, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and there’s no better place to stay than our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast. The Arch Cape Inn & Retreat is a quiet oasis, set back from the busier tourist areas, like Cannon Beach, but close enough to everything for an active and exciting trip. Our intimate and romantic suites are just a half mile from the edge of Oswald West State Park, so it’s a popular destination for our guests who enjoy immersing themselves in the beauty of our Northwest scenery. Book your room today!
The Best Things to Do at Oswald West State Park
One of the best parts of a getaway to the Oregon Coast is witnessing this area’s absolute natural beauty. Oswald West State Park offers guests stunning outlooks, fantastic hiking trails, and secluded coves on the ocean. There’s nothing quite like spending a beautiful day exploring the temperate rainforests and expansive sandy beaches while the waves crash on the shore.
Even though Oswald West State Park is technically in Arch Cape, Oregon, it’s listed as the number one thing to do in Cannon Beach on TripAdvisor. Each year, millions of visitors flock to this famous Oregon State Park for its beautiful trails and vantage points on the Coast. Here’s all you need to know about Oswald West State Park before you go:
- Short Sand Beach: This popular beach is reached via a quick half-mile hike from the main parking lot along Highway 101. Cross the creek on a railroad-style bridge, and you’ll find yourself at a beautiful picnic area overlooking the beach. This area is nestled between two rocky outcroppings in Smuggler’s Cove, and you’ll often see surfers out catching the waves.
- Neah-Kah-Nie Mountain: Within the park lies Neah-Kah-Nie Mountain, a 1661-foot coastal range that offers visitors astounding views from the summit. Those who prefer a quick hop out of their car can take in the vistas from the parking areas, but if you like a challenge, the mountain can be hiked from either side. The north mountain trail is 1.3 miles, and the south mountain trail is two miles; both weave through old-growth forests.
- Old Growth Forest Trail: Along the trail in this temperate rainforest ecosystem, you’ll encounter low-growing ferns, salal, and salmonberry in the share of massive western red cedar, western hemlock, and Sitka Spruce trees.
- Cape Falcon Trail: For adventure seekers, hiking to the end of Cape Falcon is a fantastic way to spend part of the day at Oswald West State Park. The path meanders through a picturesque rainforest and provides breathtaking views of Smuggler’s Cove and Short Sand Beach to the south. Keep your eyes peeled for local wildlife and birds.
- Oregon Coast Trail: There’s a 13-mile stretch of the Oregon Coast Trail (OCT) that covers the entirety of Oswald West State Park. The segment of this trail starts at Arch Cape, just minutes from our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast, and extends south to the town of Manzanita.
- Devil’s Cauldron: If you’d like to take a look at these cliffs from on high, this is a great outlook to watch the waves crashing along the majestically tall rocky cliffs. This is just south of Short Sand Beach.
Elegant Lodging at our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast
Arch Cape Inn is a lovely destination for those who have experienced the beauty of the Oregon Coast before or those who haven’t been yet. Ideally situated away from the busier tourist areas, our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast is such a welcome reprieve from the busy day-to-day. You’ll quickly see that time moves a little bit slower here, a pace that’s ideal for romantic getaways, intimate celebrations, and couple’s retreats. Adding a stop at Oswald West State Park is the perfect addition to a vacation to the coast.
After a day out exploring nature, our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast will await your return. From our cozy shared living spaces and garden courtyards to our spacious private suites, you’ll be ready to relax and refresh. Each of our ten guest rooms is equipped with all the necessary amenities, including pristine and luxurious en suite bathrooms with Beekman 1802 bath products, comfortable beds dressed in fine linens, and pleasant seating areas with gas fireplaces.
Each morning, we’ll treat you to a complimentary and delicious breakfast. Our creative daily menu with a variety of choices will be sure to entice everyone’s appetites. We use fresh seasonal ingredients and prepare everything made to order. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee from our local roaster, Sleepy Monk, the perfect pairing to our house-made treats. We can’t wait to host you at our Oregon Coast Bed and Breakfast! Make a reservation today!